Sunday, November 11, 2012

Welcome! In this post- upper neck and back issues and postural deviations

Welcome to the blog!! I'm Valerie- you were likely introduced to this page through me after we worked together at Massage Envy Spa in Cupertino. If not, I'm glad you happened to stumble upon this page, and I hope you find some of the info here useful. :)

 I had been thinking about coming up with some sort of extra outside communication, or a way to relay all the stretches and suggestions I want to share during or after a massage for your at home care for quite some time. An email group didn't appeal to me really, as the personal exchange of info would have to happen. Since that is frowned upon at my work, and everyone knows what blogs are, I came to the conclusion that this would actually be a really good medium for what I'm trying to do. Tada! A blog is born!

Above: Upper Crossed Syndrome, and how it affects the body.

So shall we get going right away on an issue I see way too often? Upper back and neck pain/tightness! It is to be expected, considering I live in the Silicon Valley-everyone is in tech! Even the people who aren't working as a software engineer are utilizing the same technology and play with smart phones religiously. When you come into get work done, you'll notice that the therapist may not simply work on THAT SPECIFIC AREA that hurts. There is a pathology to it- the site of pain may not be what is actually the problem, merely the symptom. In the case of upper body postural deviations-- upper crossed syndrome, kyphosis (rounded and forward shoulder and head) and "shoulder earrings" -AKA shoulders that sit up near your ears- are the top two I see.


I have an excellent YouTube video that I like to forward to all of my friends and family and to my own private guests that addresses common causes of this postural distortion, and breaks it down simply. Check out this guy's channel, too. Plenty of great corrective and strengthening exercises!

Upper postural distortion video on Youtube

And this video below is just a very quick demonstration of an exercise similar to what I've shown a few of you. I appreciate the benefits of this exercise, being on the ground, you have to work against gravity in a neutral position, so I do like this. However, in order to make it more accessible on a regular basis- restroom break at work, lunch, etc- I've demonstrated this same thing standing, primary focus on the rotating of the shoulders. Many will try to do the "elevating off the ground" part, and just kind of bend backwards. Common compensation tactic, so don't cheat yourself. If doing this correctly, you should feel a little pinch between your shoulder blades alongside your spine. Tip: remember the "release" part of any "contract and release" exercise should be done slowly- that is when the good stuff happens! The controlled release/extension makes it more challenging, and really works that muscle much better than just quickly letting go. Check it out!

Rhomboid strengthening exercise!

As always, drink PLENTY of water, and remember- massage is just ONE part of your wellness plan. You must also be aware of your physical posture and your habits that could be aggravating the problem, and try to "do your homework" by stretching and strengthening at home. :) Teamwork!!



visual aid source: www.kettlebellinstitute.com

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post! And welcome to the world of blogging! I have been doing it for nearly 4 years now and its been fun and challenging to say the least but it looks like you are on a better path than when I first started. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. massage therapy has also proven beneficial for many chronic conditions, including low back pain, arthritis, bursitis, fatigue, high blood pressure, diabetes, immunity suppression, infertility, smoking cessation, depression, and more. Monthly follow-up visits after the desired results are achieved would be beneficial to keep you maintained and keep the old pain from reoccurring. 영등포출장안마

    ReplyDelete